Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

I have been awake for almost three hours now.  My wife called me from Madrid, Spain, and it was really good to hear her voice.  It was three in the morning when she called, and I haven't been able to go back to sleep.  I decided to take a look on TV to see what was on, and I noticed all of the 9/11 tributes for today. It's kind of eerie considering that when I am done writing this post, ten years ago, our world changed.  We all know the horrors and remember differently the events that day.  What I will never forget is the fact that even in time of great despair and sadness, we as Americans will always prevail.  Our democracy, our freedoms, and the selfless acts of those people that lost their lives so others may live is something that truly resonates with me.  A few years ago, President Obama stated that on the anniversary of 9/11, we as Americans should use this day as a day of service.  A day that culminates our ideas of giving back to a country that has done so much for all of us and that we sometimes take for granted.  We as Americans owe it to our country, our families, and most of all, to ourselves to display the kind of affection and service to all of those in need.  I firmly believe that 9/11 is truly a day to remember those who lost their lives on that tragic day.  We must never forget, but we must always live our lives to the very best of our abilities.  Live your life with no regrets.  Respect all, fear none, but most importantly, love always. 

I truly believe that in my time of sadness there is hope.  Hope that people will use this anniversary as a time to give back to those who are less fortunate.  Tell your families you love them because life is truly a precious gift.  Make the most of your life, do extraordinary things that impact the world, and do so with passion and determination.  Today, is a day of remembrance, a day of reflection, and a day of service. 

Those of you in the Business Academy, blogging truly is a liberating experience.  Although I still have tears in my eyes, I am now smiling because I know that in 24 hours, I will be going to La Sierra HS to be with my second family, my students.  I hope that you all use today as a day of reflection.  Reflect upon your life.  Take a moment of silence to offer your thoughts and prayers to those who lost their lives on 9/11. 

No comments: