In Class - Discuss the relationship between media outlets and politics.
Homework - Read Chapter 8, Sections 1-3. Answer the following questions to turn in by Friday, October 2.
Questions: 1) What is public opinion and what factors shape it?
2) Define an opinion leader and give three specific, modern day examples.
3) What are the mass media? What evidence can you give that the mass media influences public opinion?
4) How is it that a random sample gives a fairly accurate representation of public opinion?
5) Go online, and find the approval ratings of President Obama starting in January 2009-September 2009. Be sure to provide the website of where you found your information.
6) Why is the internet considered a medium?
7) How do the media influence the public agenda? Provide specific examples.
8) What limits are there on media influence?
QOW - With regards to media outlets (internet, television, newspaper, magazines, or radio), what do you think is their overall purpose? Inform, entertain, influence? Also, how has the role of media outlets changed over the past five or ten years? What do you think?